Barber Shop Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In search of well respected barber schools

4 posters

Go down

In search of well respected barber schools Empty In search of well respected barber schools

Post by cmvereen 05/03/13, 01:51 am

I've recently become interested in becoming a barber and in my internet research I've had trouble finding many schools that look reputable/are actually barber specific. If anyone would care to point me in the direction of a few well respected programs I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Colin in GA

cmvereen
Slick (New Member)

Back to top Go down

In search of well respected barber schools Empty Re: In search of well respected barber schools

Post by Audi 05/03/13, 09:15 am

Colin, alot of ppl in here are unhappy with the school they attended. It is just a bitter pill they have to swallow to get licensed.

1: Make sure it teaches barbering up front... not a cosmetology school (often more hours) with a crossover class (an additional increase of training hours).

2: Get a hair cut. No... I mean at the school you finally plan to attend. Make sure it is a Junior Barber (brand new student barber). When I did this, I got to feel what it's like to be a client and also got to ask dozens of questions pertaining to starting out as a student barber from one who has it fresh on his mind.

3: Get a school that will teach you the use of a straight razor. It is a good practice to learn rather you use that knowledge in your profession or not. Any school can teach the 14 strokes, but not all can teach them with a straight razor, how to hone, etc.

4: Do as much as you can in school. I don't know your age, but you will find many inmature young adults fresh out of school that haven't found their adult hood yet. Study for that written exam at all times.

5: Don't focus on buying equipment. More than likely you will be mandated to buy their starter kit anyway. Buy what you need when you know what you need.

6: Don't try to learn how barbers do it in the real world. If you don't follow book techniques during the exam, it will hurt you more than help you, even if 3 different examiners find nothing wrong with the cut. And that I learned the hard way.

I'm sure many in here will have much more to share with you. Thanx! for taking an interest in this time-honored profession and good luck!! Let us know when you are enrolled with necessary info and we will get you into the student forum where you will find a weath of information.

Last edited by Audi on 05/03/13, 09:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : just TERIBLE spellin')
Audi
Audi
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

http://www.AudiesBarberShop.com

Back to top Go down

In search of well respected barber schools Empty Re: In search of well respected barber schools

Post by Audi 05/03/13, 11:33 am

Oh... forgot...

7: Make sure the school or program is recognized or accredited by the state.

GEORGIA THE GEORGIA BOARD OF BARBERS
(478) 207-2440 237 Coliseum Drive, Macon, Georgia 31217
Fax (478) 207-1354 Eleanor Surrency, Executive Director
Email: E.Surrency@sos.state.ga.us
Web: sos.Georgia.gov/plb/barber/default.htm

I hope that info is till up to date...
Audi
Audi
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

http://www.AudiesBarberShop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LD 05/03/13, 07:51 pm

Barber school was a puzzling experience in that it seemed like we spent more time on things that you never do in a barber shop. This was because of state board requirements and the mindset of the owner/instructors. That seems to be a common experience. Just know that going in, be determined, and hang in there, learn what they tell you is important to pass the state boards, and then get to a shop where the real learning-and the real fun-begins.

Good luck,

LD

LD
Usergroup Mderator, MTB
Usergroup Mderator, MTB

Back to top Go down

Post by saintsfan 06/03/13, 10:49 am

Ditto to what Audi and LD said. Most of what I learned about cutting hair I learned in the shop. With that said I don't think I would have been able to pick up on things as quickly in the shop as I did if I didn't have a good foundation that I learned in school to build upon.

If you're really serious about the field I would suggest going around to different shops and ask them if they wouldn't mind if you came in every once in a while to watch them work and to ask them questions. You'll probably get some telling you no but I think you should be able to find a shop that wouldn't mind. The nice thing about that is when you get done with school you'll have your foot in the door somewhere and they'll be more likely to take you in as a new barber since they know you're serious about becoming a barber.

With all that said you may be having to willing to drive a bit or relocate to go to school. I was fortunate enough to find a school about a hour from where I live since I didn't have to relocation option available to me. As far as being able to tell you a good school your best bet may be to ask the barbers in your area where they went or if they know a good school somewhere near you.
saintsfan
saintsfan
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down