Barber Shop Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

course options?

2 posters

Go down

course options? Empty course options?

Post by gds 02/11/14, 03:47 pm

Hi there.

I hope you can offer some suggestions here. I am looking at two schools here in Sacramento, California. One is a Moler school in Sacramento and the other is Federico, a cosmo school that also offers a full-time barbering course. I am finding it really difficult to get some real info about either place from students. I have visited both places and spoke to admissions and Federico certainly seemed to be the most professionally presented. The Moler school instructor was very vague as to the structure of the training there. The Federico school is more than double ($16,000) the price of Moler ($7,000) and it does seem a more impressive set-up but I am under the impression that you get most of your experience once you begin working in the field. It seems both have the typical barber school difficulty of finding real folks to practice on. I have a fear that I will pay all that money at Moler and walk out the door with the certificate but no really confidence or experience whereas at Federico, although the buildings and set-up looked more like a training school, I am afraid that I will spend double the money and end up with the same training, mannequin experience, more shear training, but no real training on human heads!

The training in clipper work and shear work at Federico did seem to be more hands on but at double the money and I wonder is it worth it? Both courses are 1500hrs.
Do you think it would be OK to go to the Moler school get the State license, know the basics, and then enroll at something like a course at American Crew academy to learn basic shear work and styling, and obviously work and practice. (I am assuming I will come out of Moler with JUST the basics). I could use the money I save by not going to Federico and create my own training program without all the waiting around that seems to happen at barber school. I am coming to this later in life so I don't really have the years to fool around chalking unnecessary training and extra expense up to "a learning experience!"

Any suggestions or maybe even someone here has trained at either school!

Thanks,
GDS

gds
Slick (New Member)

Back to top Go down

course options? Empty Re: course options?

Post by saintsfan 03/11/14, 03:25 pm

Have you had a chance to go in and get your own haircut at both places? I think that could give you an idea of how far along they can each get you in roughly the same amount of time. I don't know if the price alone would be enough to sway me one way or the other but it would definitely be a big influence.

My biggest piece of advice would be to go to some shops around your area and see if they have any idea about either school and if they ever take on apprentices (the shops themselves). That will get you trained a whole lot quicker (apprenticing and going to school) and more comfortable cutting hair.
saintsfan
saintsfan
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gds 04/11/14, 03:40 pm

Thanks for your reply. I haven't had my hair cut in either place but I will do. I have chatted to barbers in the area who had mixed views on Moler but Federico is too new for them to have heard any news about. I think they only began offering Barber courses last year so it is perhaps too soon for word to have got out about it.

Good idea about the apprenticing. I will check it out and see if that is a viable option.

I really do appreciate you taking the time to reply.

GDS

gds
Slick (New Member)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum