Barber Shop Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need questions answered by the pros.

+2
Blade
BarberJohn
6 posters

Go down

Need questions answered by the pros. Empty Need questions answered by the pros.

Post by BarberJohn 03/01/12, 03:04 am

Let me first start of by introducing myself. My name is John, and I am a 18 year old High School graduate. I'm already interested in getting into a school, just got to fill out the forms to go. I plan on going to barber school, and getting all my certification needed. Not entirely sure what all that is. I talked to my small town barber, and he has agreed to teach me so I can take over his business when he retires in the near future. So I think that is really nice of him, he has done a lot for the community. I really look up to him as a role model. I think that is enough of a introduction, don't want to bore you guys. So time to move onto my questions.

I see this forum has two sections. Traditional and Modern Trends. Now I apologize for not understanding the differences. I mean I understand with the names, but I don't know what the differences are. So can someone please tell me the differences, if you do I will love you forever.

I hope to learn this in the barber program, but what all do I need for equipment. Like I know clippers, but what would you suggest? Also what are some good razors, and what not. Stuff like that, because I am new and I have no clue.

Also, I made sure this what in the program, but business management. How to run a successful business. What is a good price for a haircut, beard trim. Hair and beard combo, or a shave? I don't want to rip people off, but I don't want to hurt my business.

Hours? Okay this is a good question, because it varies from shop to shop. I kind of want to do what my local barbers and traditional barbers do. Tue-Sat 9-5 Sun and Mon Closed.

Okay, so I am a young kid who respects both tradition and technology. So what is the best way to combine I guess Modern and Traditional ways into one. When I run my own shop I want to give it a modern professional with a traditional look. I have a design in mind, because I am certain this is what I want to do for a career. I can describe my design and you can give my your feedback on it. Well I was thinking of a classic building on the middle of town. Think of a real small town where all the small business's are located. The inside is a traditional yet professional look, now please give me feedback on this. The walls will have a wooden panel design, somewhat like this. The walls are traditional Need questions answered by the pros. Knotty-pine-wall-paneling-texture with the foundation (the floor) possessing that modern professional look. With a white and black marble tile. Need questions answered by the pros. Tilefloor2 with antique decor hanging on the walls, a coat rack, magazine rack, and maybe a gum ball machine for the kids.

Barber Chairs now I'm looking for an antique look with a modern feel. I think this fits perfectly. Need questions answered by the pros. ITA-31906-2 but let me know what works well and what doesn't please.

Visiting area, now I don't want to make a beauty shop for men. I read that the waiting area is basically makes it or breaks it. So I would like to know what furniture you would recommend, and what kind of stuff to stay away from. Oh and I plan to have a flat screen on the wall.

Other tips
Please give me all the advice you can, and positive or negative feedback. Any feedback is appreciated.

Now this is all when I work, save up my money. Start my own business probably taking it over from my hometown barber, and remodeling the shop with the money I had saved up. I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch. I am just planning, which I have been doing recently. I'm also in search of a name for the shop, but I have plenty of time for to plan that.

This is something I am really interested in, and been considering for a while now. So basically If you guys can tell me what the job consist of. Daily Routines, Handling Customers, How to carry on a conversion, what to talk to your customers with, what not to talk with. (I know nothing positive, but what about sports and politics or things of that caliber) Creating a positive working environment. I'm just really excited and want to learn from the pros so I can start my career as a barber.

Best Regards,
Johnny

BarberJohn
Rising Member
Rising Member

Back to top Go down

Need questions answered by the pros. Empty Re: Need questions answered by the pros.

Post by Blade 03/01/12, 08:45 am

Small steps learn how to cut first, the colour of the floor doesn´t really matter at the moment. But its nice to have a vision, do the hours of a working barber learn your trade and all the other stuff will fall into place..

Blade

http://www.barber.fi

Back to top Go down

Need questions answered by the pros. Empty Re: Need questions answered by the pros.

Post by Audi 03/01/12, 11:07 am

BarberJohn wrote:Let me first start of by introducing myself. My name is John, and I am a 18 year old High School graduate. I'm already interested in getting into a school, just got to fill out the forms to go. I plan on going to barber school, and getting all my certification needed. Not entirely sure what all that is. I talked to my small town barber, and he has agreed to teach me so I can take over his business when he retires in the near future. So I think that is really nice of him, he has done a lot for the community. I really look up to him as a role model. I think that is enough of a introduction, don't want to bore you guys. So time to move onto my questions.

First of all, I like your zeal. In all of your zealousness, remain humble. You will learn that there is NO "God's Gift to Barbering." Not I, not you, not any Instructor, not the gentleman taking you under his wing. Respect Them anyway. The gentleman willing to take you in wants to trust you with a legacy he's leaving behind when he retires. Take care of it. When the customers complain about him being lazy (because he cut his hours back so you can survive) and how they are always going to sit in YOUR chair, you will definitely be humbled.... it's better to remain humble and expect the unexpected. There will be many, many humbling moments... take it with a grain of salt.

BarberJohn wrote:I see this forum has two sections. Traditional and Modern Trends. Now I apologize for not understanding the differences. I mean I understand with the names, but I don't know what the differences are. So can someone please tell me the differences, if you do I will love you forever.

Traditional Shop verses Modern Day Salon would be the best way to say it.

BarberJohn wrote:I hope to learn this in the barber program, but what all do I need for equipment. Like I know clippers, but what would you suggest? Also what are some good razors, and what not. Stuff like that, because I am new and I have no clue.

You need the basic tools you get with the starter kit. Nothing more at first. Worry about the rest later. Learn "Book Method." The rest will come later. If you go out and get Detatchable Blade Clippers and try to pass the exam using various blades like you would "cheaters" or clipper attatchments, they just might fail you on your first exam and make you test all over again.

BarberJohn wrote:Also, I made sure this what in the program, but business management. How to run a successful business. What is a good price for a haircut, beard trim. Hair and beard combo, or a shave? I don't want to rip people off, but I don't want to hurt my business.

The best way to not hurt your business when taking over a successful shop ist to not go in making a whole lot of changes. Understand at first what it is that is making that shop work and go from there. Most important... BE THERE FOR YOUR CUSTOMER. That's what makes business successful.

BarberJohn wrote:Hours? Okay this is a good question, because it varies from shop to shop. I kind of want to do what my local barbers and traditional barbers do. Tue-Sat 9-5 Sun and Mon Closed.

Just don't shorten them. If you keep it a 2-man shop (when the other gentleman retires), you may actually consider over-lapping your schedules elongating the Hours Opened.

BarberJohn wrote:Okay, so I am a young kid who respects both tradition and technology. So what is the best way to combine I guess Modern and Traditional ways into one. When I run my own shop I want to give it a modern professional with a traditional look. I have a design in mind, because I am certain this is what I want to do for a career. I can describe my design and you can give my your feedback on it. Well I was thinking of a classic building on the middle of town. Think of a real small town where all the small business's are located. The inside is a traditional yet professional look, now please give me feedback on this. The walls will have a wooden panel design, somewhat like this. The walls are traditional Need questions answered by the pros. Knotty-pine-wall-paneling-texture with the foundation (the floor) possessing that modern professional look. With a white and black marble tile. Need questions answered by the pros. Tilefloor2 with antique decor hanging on the walls, a coat rack, magazine rack, and maybe a gum ball machine for the kids.

Barber Chairs now I'm looking for an antique look with a modern feel. I think this fits perfectly. Need questions answered by the pros. ITA-31906-2 but let me know what works well and what doesn't please.

Visiting area, now I don't want to make a beauty shop for men. I read that the waiting area is basically makes it or breaks it. So I would like to know what furniture you would recommend, and what kind of stuff to stay away from. Oh and I plan to have a flat screen on the wall.

Other tips
Please give me all the advice you can, and positive or negative feedback. Any feedback is appreciated.

Baby steps. If you have the cash you think you will have to do all of this, don't let it burn a hole in your pocket. One small step at a time. You will have utilities higher some months than others, insurance pymnts, unexpectected emergency expenses (like hot water heater, furnace, AC, etc.)

BarberJohn wrote:Now this is all when I work, save up my money. Start my own business probably taking it over from my hometown barber, and remodeling the shop with the money I had saved up. I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch. I am just planning, which I have been doing recently. I'm also in search of a name for the shop, but I have plenty of time for to plan that.

If it has a name that's already reputable, why change it? If the name incorporates the current Barber's Name, then it also marks his leagacy. He may be honored if you keep the existing name. You may wish to inquire aboout that.

BarberJohn wrote: This is something I am really interested in, and been considering for a while now. So basically If you guys can tell me what the job consist of. Daily Routines, Handling Customers, How to carry on a conversion, what to talk to your customers with, what not to talk with. (I know nothing positive, but what about sports and politics or things of that caliber) Creating a positive working environment. I'm just really excited and want to learn from the pros so I can start my career as a barber.

Be yourself. Let ppl talk about themselves. Stay organized. Stay humble. (If you don't stay organized, you will eventually be humbled.) Stay opened.

Best Regards,
Hope I've been of some assistance,

Audie

Last edited by Audi on 03/01/12, 03:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : baad slpeling)
Audi
Audi
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

http://www.AudiesBarberShop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Toot 03/01/12, 03:26 pm

"""Traditional Shop verses Modern Day Salon would be the best way to say it."""

heyyy.. Thats hittin' below the belt, there..

tehetehetehetehete

Toot

Toot
Toot
Usergroup Mderator, MTB
Usergroup Mderator, MTB

Back to top Go down

Post by Audi 03/01/12, 05:17 pm

yea.... that was definitely vague. I'll let you explain that one Toot. laughing pale
Audi
Audi
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Toot 03/01/12, 05:26 pm

balling balling

Toot
Toot
Toot
Usergroup Mderator, MTB
Usergroup Mderator, MTB

Back to top Go down

Post by SCbarber 03/01/12, 07:00 pm

Traditional- The way it used to be and SHOULD be today.
Modern- The way MOST of them are today.

In terms of decor, TRADITIONAL is using early barber chairs and other barber furniture like they did back in the earlier times, doing this creates a much more relaxing "the way it used to be" feel. Personally, it is the ONLY way I would have my shop set up. MODERN is going out and purchasing brand new or near new everything so when you get it all set up, it has more of a "salon" type feel to it. In my opinion this gives your customers no reason to return to you because your place is like every other place out there!

It is good you have vision, but you have a long way to go before worrying about the type of floor you are going to have. Like what was mentioned above, the regulars do not like change, keep it like it is, update it little by little, not all at once. It is nice to have someone "hand" you over a shop but you still have to do what it takes to keep it going. I hope this helped.
SCbarber
SCbarber
Usergroup Moderator, TB
Usergroup Moderator, TB

http://www.paulthebarber.net

Back to top Go down

Post by BarberJohn 04/01/12, 12:23 am

I didn't mean all at once guys. Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you for your replies of wisdom. Now that all of you answered the question Modern and Traditional. I want a traditional barber shop, because that is what he has. That is why my father and I go to him. I don't want to change it, just make improvements when needed. Nothing over night. Basically he has that style I described already, but after years of wear and tear it needs maintenance. I basically want the same style just little changes. Nothing to drastic.

As for the barber shop name. The shop is named after him. I never thought of taking away the name will leave his legacy. I think I should keep the name out of respect. So I will talk to him about how he wants it done. I hope you guys didn't really think of me as the kind of guy who will completely be disrespectful, and tear a guys legacy down. I would never do that, because I am so happy he decided to take me under his wing.

BarberJohn
Rising Member
Rising Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Audi 04/01/12, 09:17 am

What school will you be going to?
Audi
Audi
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by BarberJohn 05/01/12, 11:27 pm

Audi wrote:What school will you be going to?

I plan on going to success schools

BarberJohn
Rising Member
Rising Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tn Barber 06/01/12, 07:47 am

John,

You sound enthusiastic but I would caution you to slow down. You haven't even started school but you're already picking out your shop furnishings. Nice to dream but pace yourself.

Also, you might consider NOT calling yourself BARBER until you have earned your license.

Welcome aboard.

Oh yeah, I may have to disagree slightly with my friend SC. Traditional isn't necessarily defined by decor or equipment, although those things can be part of it. Just because a person has a new chair or a new backbar doesn't mean he isn't traditional. There are many styles of furnishings and chair companies are making brand new classic barber chairs. New doesn't mean non-traditional. Antiqes are not a requirement.

Tn Barber
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BarberJohn 11/01/12, 03:36 am

Tn Barber wrote:John,

You sound enthusiastic but I would caution you to slow down. You haven't even started school but you're already picking out your shop furnishings. Nice to dream but pace yourself.

Also, you might consider NOT calling yourself BARBER until you have earned your license.

Welcome aboard.

Oh yeah, I may have to disagree slightly with my friend SC. Traditional isn't necessarily defined by decor or equipment, although those things can be part of it. Just because a person has a new chair or a new backbar doesn't mean he isn't traditional. There are many styles of furnishings and chair companies are making brand new classic barber chairs. New doesn't mean non-traditional. Antiqes are not a requirement.

I appreciate your concern, but this is something that I want to do, besides it's just a username to ask a few questions. I guess I'll leave the forum since I offended you asking questions. My bad. Bye.

BarberJohn
Rising Member
Rising Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Toot 11/01/12, 08:44 am

Well shoot.. That's not good..

Toot
Toot
Toot
Usergroup Mderator, MTB
Usergroup Mderator, MTB

Back to top Go down

Post by Toot 13/01/12, 11:23 am

I understood what you were sayin' SC.. The decor/setting has a huge part in it. Sets the environment kinda..

Toot
Toot
Toot
Usergroup Mderator, MTB
Usergroup Mderator, MTB

Back to top Go down

Post by Blade 17/01/12, 03:38 am

Barbering is all about attitude , traditional barbering is more about the type of cut you do . After reading the forum for years now ,it is obvious to me it is viewed differently in different countries.

I would love to hear from a street barber in India or Egypt who are masters with a straight razor, they dont need decor to be a traditional barber, there work is traditional. Shave and a haircut.

Its the quality and pride of your work that matters, how good you are with people. Traditional values ..

Blade

http://www.barber.fi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum