Barber Shop Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Insight, Tips, Advice please?

+3
Audi
kdbarker
Rxxl
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Insight, Tips, Advice please?  Empty Insight, Tips, Advice please?

Post by Rxxl 12/04/13, 03:41 pm

I'm a 40 year old man looking into being a barber. I'm no stranger to clippers but no barber or stylist by any stretch of the imagination. There's a lot I've found I really am into about barbering as a career. And like anything some things I'm nervous about. There is no school near me so I would need to go to Cosmo school and then try to apprentice at a barber shop to get that license. Please any thoughts or insights would be GREATLY appreciated. I've been researching and soul searching and visiting shops and speaking to barbers. So I'm not just throwing darts here. Someone suggested I do it part time to build up a clientele. But ultimately I want to have my own shop and have a vision of what that will be. But could use the facts and the un romantic truths. What do you live about it and hate about it? THANKS. R.

Rxxl
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Insight, Tips, Advice please?  Empty Re: Insight, Tips, Advice please?

Post by kdbarker 12/04/13, 04:42 pm

You have a Barbering Course offered at DCMO Boces in Norwich, NY, about 60 miles from Cicero, NY.
My advice would be to drive it five days a week for the 6 months that it would take for you to complete the course. Than you will be all set for the State Boards Exam. My Barber Shop is about 12 miles from DCMO Boces (Norwich, NY), so if you decide to go there for school, get it touch with me.
kdbarker
kdbarker
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

https://www.facebook.com/NewBerlinMastersBarberShop

Back to top Go down

Post by Rxxl 12/04/13, 04:44 pm

There's one in Rochester too. But I have two boys and other responsibilities here that make it quite difficult to commute like that. Believe me I'm trying to work ways around things.

Rxxl
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kdbarker 12/04/13, 05:00 pm

See Topic "Welcome to Masters Barber Shop - Video series"... scroll down to the video that talks about "School vs. Apprentice" (in NYS).
kdbarker
kdbarker
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kdbarker 12/04/13, 05:25 pm

You asked "What do you love about it and hate about it?"...

I have experience in many different fields, but I would say that Barbering is the most rewarding thing that I have ever done.
Question: What I love about it?
Answer: Everything!

Question: What I hate about it?
Answer: The thought of not being able to do it 50 years from now. I also hate when a client passes away, because your clients will become like family to you. You will know most every detail of there life, so it hurts when they pass.
kdbarker
kdbarker
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rxxl 12/04/13, 08:05 pm

Thanks so much for the knowledgeable words and tone kd. I'm really plotting and planning how I can make this happen. Was this always your passion and calling or did you discover it later in life as I have. I have vast existence in many different areas too. What's the name of your shop? I didn't know about the boces program there. I've only looked into ABI in Rochester I guess.

Rxxl
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Audi 12/04/13, 08:16 pm

near 17 years into it.... Still can't find anything I hate about it. Sure. You will find some cut throats in the business that will get you upset... they weed themselves out soon enough. And idiots for customers trying to get a free cut.

Let me see.... I like not having a boss lQQk over my shoulder. For a change, I get to lQQk over the boss'es shoulder. I have enough self-dicipline and am dedicated to my shop enough to know that if I'm not self-diciplined and dedicated, I'll have the boss lQQking over MY shoulder again.... that keeps me in line.

I like the ppl. You'd a never knowed it before I started. I wasn't social at all. Then, it suddenly became fun! Dangedest thing I'd ever seed. By the way.... I really aint illiterate. Like to have fun.

That part about being social wasn't my reasoning... just a side benefit. I really got into it because if I was going to be self-employed, this profession had the least start-up expense.

You can actually start with the tools from the starter kit provided when you begin barber college. Getting your own shop is another story. I would reccommend you don't do that right away anyway until you get 2 or 3 years experience with seasoned barbers.

I drove 60 miles to and 60 miles from barber college 5 days a week for 9 months at the age of 39 as a single parent with full custody of a 16 year old. 40 hours a week... 1500 hours total. And held down a part time job on top of that. Don't regret any of it.... was worth every bit of the hassle involved. I didn't even have it bad as far as the driving. If you talk to SC Barber, you will find that he did 120 miles each way.

I wouldn't start buying expensive toys to use until you pass the barber exam. Except the flat-top comb maybe. If you get a flat-top comb with a level on it in your kit, you really want to throw the comb away and keep the level for construction. Twisted Evil

You want college, not apprenticeship. Too many apprentices don't pass their exam initially in most states. You can learn how to cut hair with seasoned barbers later.

Let me see.... use your spare time in school for study time. Many schools have a bunch of kids on an extended education program trying to find them careers in fields they just ain't interested in. You do indeed need to know EVERYTHING from the neck up, chemicals, etc.

mmmmmmm.... go get a hair cut. No. for real. Visit the school you intend to enroll and get a junior hair cut. Yes. A junior. He is the one that can tell you most about what it's like as a junior student, doing his first cut, all those questions you really want to ask. The answers are fresh on his mind plus you get to feel what it is like to be a living dummy. Atleast in the school I went to, we didn't use maniquins.

geeeeee.... I might think of more later. One barber has his signature on this forum that says something to this affect... "Barbering is not a job, it is a way of life." I promise you, it is atleast life-changing.

Hope that helps you out alot. Good luck in your endeavors and PLEASSE... keep us posted. We'll get you involved int student forum once you begin school.

Last edited by Audi on 12/04/13, 08:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : baad slpeling)
Audi
Audi
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

http://www.AudiesBarberShop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rxxl 12/04/13, 09:32 pm

Thanks Audi! From what I'm being told around here only Cosmo students really learn about the chemicals and are allowed to work with them. The drive/from to barber school doesn't bug me. It's if it's realistic given some if the factors and responsibilities I have here. If its not an option right now is cosmetology school a good start at least? I've talked to a number if barbers here that have both degrees or who started out in Cosmo school since they couldn't get to barber school. I would have to get the cos license anyway at some point in order to work with colors and some if the other things correct? It's not my ideal choice no, especially since I don't care to do big hair or nails/makeup. But is it a viable on or a waste?

Rxxl
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Audi 12/04/13, 11:03 pm

The instructors will tell you cosmo school. But then the more hours you are enrolled... the more money they get. I'm not familiar with the state. A cosmo school here has gotten one guy hating on me because I told him he's better off going to barber college 120 miles away for 1000 hr.s and learn to do the taper hair cut and shave the same time than going to cosmo school for 1500 hours not learning to taper, and a cross-over course requiring more hr.s to learn the shave (take note: mostly women cutters and clients to learn the cross-over class of shaving). I don't want you to hate on me. Like everything else in life: "Follow the Money." The most expensive way will always be reccommended by those who are profiting the most. I have no dog in that fight. Personally I'd prefer to see you go to barber college if you are not planning a salon-type profession. You have to make your own choice on that one. I'm just a country barber that services a large rural area.
Audi
Audi
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rxxl 12/04/13, 11:17 pm

I wouldn't hate on you. I appreciate all opinion and take it as that. We are adults here. And I prefer to hear the brutal truth rather than the polite tippy toed answer. So long as its spoken with respect and understanding.Which you are. So fire away. I'm far to green with all of it to hate on any of it. I'm not sure if the program kd spoke of in Norwich teaches shaving. Can't find a course outline so might have to wait to get someone on the horn. Don't know if id drive the 1 1/2 each way to just learn the clipper work with no shave training. My fiancé is a longstanding hairdresser who's gone the extra miles to learn a lot of clipper work that barbers do. Albeit everyone's style is slightly different yes? Though she doesn't do much straight razor past cleaning necks. Don't worry Audi. I came here for the insight and knowledge and the truths all you greatly experienced folks here have. I came here for help and advisement. Not to have my thoughts or feelings on matters validated or eased. The wisdom is to be respected, not hated. No matter what I choose to do. So come with it. And thanks in advance. :0)

Rxxl
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rxxl 12/04/13, 11:23 pm

Kd it looks like the course it 500 hours which equates to about 3 months if done at 40 hrs per week. Do you see a lengthier one that goes 6 mos?

Rxxl
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Audi 12/04/13, 11:28 pm

I believe wvbarber, one of our newest members is studying to be an instructor. It would gr8 to get him involved here, tho he is out of West Virginia.
Audi
Audi
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rxxl 13/04/13, 12:18 am

That's be great. All insight is welcome snd needed. From any state. The part that I find I'm most nervous, and to be honest scared about is that their are so many different cuts and hair styles it seems. It's hard to wrap my head around doing them all. I own store bought clippers and I've done cuts before. Many on myself and some others. But nothing like what you guys do. Just buzzes and neatening. I have no problem doing that. And learning more. But I'd be lying if I said what you guys do isn't somewhat intimidating and overwhelming. And with two little ones to support and being 40 I don't I can't afford to not make a wise career choice at this stage in life. I like and am inspired by the ideas and vision I have of what it can become down the road. But I'm trying not to romanticize things or bite off more than I can chew. I didn't grow up with a passion for hair or always wanting to be a barber. But I have been feeling I can do this and enjoy it as a career. I'm just nervous about actually being able to learn it all and be good at it. If I was younger I'd not worry so much. It just seems like its something that takes a lifetime to really learn. Or is it realistic to start off slow and simple yet still be successful and make a living?

Rxxl
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kdbarker 13/04/13, 08:20 am

In NYS an approved Barbers course is 500 hours which teaches you all the basics (including shaving) and prepares you for the state boards exam. You WILL have all the knowledge needed to pass the state boards exam after completion of the course.
In NYS Cosmetology course is 1000 hours (you don’t want this if you are planning on being a barber).
Classes start at 9:00am and end at 2:30pm (with 30 min. off for lunch) so you will only get 5 hours of class time in each day or 25 hours per week. This is why I stated that it will take you about 6 months to complete.
I own and operate Masters Barber Shop in South New Berlin, NY (I’m on Facebook), plan a trip out to me sometime and I would be happy to give you a tour of the school as well as it only about 12 miles from my Shop.
kdbarker
kdbarker
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kdbarker 13/04/13, 08:59 am

You should plan a trip to my Shop where I can answer all your questions in person!
I can tell you that you will not learn “every” haircut thoroughly and suddenly become an experienced professional Barber from only 500 hours of schooling. There is only one way to do this and that is to “become” a Licensed Barber, then cut hair as much as you can and network with other professionals (as you are doing here).
The Barbering course offered at the DCMO Boces in Norwich will train you in all the “basic” cuts and techniques (and shaving) and train you to do it all safely. More importantly it will prepare you for the state boards exam, which you will pass and at this time you will be a Licensed Barber.
My first suggestion to you would be to get a high quality straight razor and start shaving yourself with it NOW! Throw out your current razor and make a commitment to only shave with a straight razor. It will take you about an hour or more to shave yourself the first time, and you will most likely cut yourself a few times in the beginning, but if you can’t master the straight razor on yourself than you have no business putting it to someone else’s skin.
I decided to become a Barber while I had a family at home to take care of as well. I went to school during the day and worked a job at night (you do whatever you have to do). The 6 months went by FAST and I would do it all again if I had to.
I can promise you that you will most likely never regret becoming a Barber. I can however promise you that if you have come this far and than decide to put it off, or decide that its too much and don’t do it… you WILL always wonder how your life would have been if you had followed your dream and you will die some day with that regret.
That may sound a bit harsh, but it’s the truth!
kdbarker
kdbarker
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Audi 13/04/13, 09:02 am

or go to the chat box together at the bottom of the home page here. Set a time up via Private Messaginging. You have to scroll to the very bottom and sign into it. The feature of forumotions that made me choose this format to build our forum.
Audi
Audi
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rxxl 13/04/13, 09:05 am

Thanks kd. I've been researching those particulars as well. And I agree that ultimately a barber school would be the way to go. But should that not be feasible why do you say Cos school is not the way ? And that's not a challenge that's a genuine question. I trust the takes you all have. I've spoken with a few barbers who own shops here. Dom 's Shear Pleasure and Saving Face who've said they have both licenses. A couple said they did the Cosmo school thing and to get in the door so they could apprentice with a barber. Seems a common way to go for new cars like he around here since there is no school in town. I think the only way for me to really try to go to school out there would be for me to stay in the area during the week and come home weekends and as needed. But that's still to be determined and who knows where I'd live for those months. Kd I could come out tomorrow or Monday if your free. Though I'd hate to impose or cut into your time. Such a generous offer man. Truly. And great vids btw.

Rxxl
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kdbarker 13/04/13, 09:51 am

Rxxl, In the end (in NYS) you will have MUCH more time and resources spent in becoming a licensed cosmetologist in NYS (1000 hours of classes), and you will not be able to advertise as a "Barber" until you ether take a Barbering course or apprentice with a Licensed Barber for TWO years minimum, before you can take the "Barbering" state boards. Also, (in NYS) Cosmetologist are not allowed to use a razor on a clients skin (neck or face) unless they are a licensed Barber.
So... you will have three years minimum of time and resources dedicated before you can even take the Barber exam (if you go this route).
Just makes more sense (to me) to go to Barbering school for around six months and get'er done.
My Shop is closed on Sundays and Mondays, but I am always at my commercial property in South New Berlin (where my Shop is located) working on other things, so you are more than welcome to come over. Just give me an ETA and I'll make sure the front door in unlocked.
kdbarker
kdbarker
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kdbarker 13/04/13, 10:31 am

Rxxl, If you want to check out the Barber School in Norwich, than plan on stopping over on Monday and I will go there with you and give you a tour, as I know the teachers personally.
Let me know, because I will have to call them and make sure they don’t have anything going on Monday that would be in conflict with this plan.
kdbarker
kdbarker
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Blade 13/04/13, 10:38 am

It can be very competitive amongst fellow co workers when you start out which is generally up to you how you handle the situation. Its long hours takes yrs to build your own customer base up . You will get aches and pains so take it from experience it can be easy to fall into a bad posture and even when you think your arms are in the right position, day after day then year after year it can catch up on you . Never think you know it all as no one does, personally i still feel an apprenticeship is the way to go as you learn the ins and outs of the daily running of a shop. But in saying that i don´t know how it is in the States.

It is a great job and its the only one i have ever done but there can be downs too like all jobs. Its giving me a good life and compared to most of my friends who do other work i dont think there is more of a self rewarding job..

Blade

http://www.barber.fi

Back to top Go down

Post by Audi 13/04/13, 10:39 am

Technically (in most states) you won't even be able to work in someone elses barber shop without a licensed barber present. Some push their limits.... it really isn't worth getting caught. Technically, the owner would be presenting the shop as a barber shop with only beauticians present. You would be guilty of presenting yourself as a barber when, truth being told, your not. That's 2 fines right there in most states... not sure about yours. You better not even have the barber pole on advertising pens or business cards in most states.

The harsh truth you asked for is, do you want to spend alot of time to become a beautician or alot shorter (tho more difficult) time to become a barber? As I stated earlier, that would be your choice. I know that I chose the hard way because I could get through it quicker and enjoying this profession alot sooner. I can tell you that if you only want to barber as you portray, the sets, colors, perms, etc. is wasted education. Unless you figure on using it later.

Audi
Audi
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rxxl 13/04/13, 11:07 am

Thanks kd. And I agree with your thoughts on barber school vs Cos school. I will def make a plan to come out and try to give you a good heads up. What made you guts choose barbering? Was it always a desire? Hobby? Accident?

Rxxl
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rxxl 13/04/13, 11:08 am

Thanks Blade. Audi I would never claim or display the rank of barber unless I had earned it and have the paper to show for it.

Rxxl
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kdbarker 13/04/13, 12:02 pm

Rxxl,
I had learned “basic” haircutting when I was much younger as a family member of mine was a cosmetologist and I thought it was “cool” to know how to cut hair. Now mind you I thought it was cool to “know” how to cut hair, but not necessarily “to” cut hair…
For some reason for years I felt that being a “simple” Barber would never be fulfilling or rewarding enough, so I set out in life learning to do MANY different things and worn MANY hats (metaphorically speaking). I had mastered many trades and held many positions of responsibility over the last 20 years (too much to articulate in a simple post), but nothing really “clicked” with me or gave me a lasting sense of fulfillment.
I have also sustained several protracted injuries (too many to list here) in the past that started slowing me down a bit as I got older, so a few years ago I revisited the notion of being a Barber.
As it turns out, it has been the single most fulfilling thing that I have experienced. I am learning that, at the most basic level we are all social creatures and have a hard time surviving when we reject this most basic instinct. Taking on life, on your own, will only get you so far and you will limit yourself (your experiences, knowledge, capabilities, happiness, etc.). As a Barber I am able to take my own life experiences/knowledge and learn (every single day) from others life experiences/knowledge. I have found that I have become someone that MANY individuals value, more so than anything that I have ever done before. It is also challenging in that you will never “learn it all” and just when you have mastered the latest haircut, everything changes and you have to master something else.
That is about the best way I can describe it…
kdbarker
kdbarker
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Audi 13/04/13, 12:22 pm

I never thought you would. Was explaining the benefits of going to barber college, getting it done sooner so you can legally cut in a barber shop, even when the owner breaks for lunch. Sorry you felt I portrayed it that way. As of now, I pretty much answered all your questions without pulling any punches as you asked.
big WHOP!!

lol... just kidding with the boxer there!! It's an excellent topic of discussion... would enjoy reading other viewer's thoughts. No one ever completely agrees. That's what's great about this forum. We can voice our thoughts and still be friends.

Holler when you are enrolled in a barber program or barber apprentice program and one of us will get you started in the "Future Professionals" Forum.
Audi
Audi
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next